- Preheat the oven at 160*C for 10 mins before baking
- Grease a baking tin with little oil and flour. You can put a baking parchment paper at the bottom if available
- In a bowl, add flour, cocoa powder, curd, sugar and oil. Mix well
- Add soda, salt, vanilla essence and water and whisk in a circular motion till a smooth batter is formed.
- Pour the batter in the cake tin and bake in the oven at 160*C for 20-25 mins or till golden brown on top.
- Insert a knife or toothpick to check if done
- Remove from the tin once cool.
Friday, 27 April 2012
“My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished a really big and yummy chocolate cake. I feel better already.”
Every bite of a chocolate cake is indulgent. You land up going in a state of nirvana or bliss with every mouthful of this delicious cake
Its the perfect recipe for any occassion - you name the occassion and the cake fits in ..
Though there are numerous recipes for baking a chocolate cake, this is my take on a simple cake which has an added advantage for all vegetarians --- Its Eggless !!!!!
So for you people who love to indulge in chocolate and cant keep your eyes of a chocolate cake , please try this recipe and do post your comments and feedback ..
Happy Baking !!!!
"Indulgent Recipe -- Eggless chocolate Cake"
2 cups self raising flour
4 tsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup beaten curd
1 & 1/4 cup sugar ( powdered)
3/4 cup vegetable refined oil
1 tsp soda bi carb
a pinch of salt
8-10 drops of vanilla essence
1 cup lukewarm water
Another option is to add a mix of almonds,walnuts and cashewnuts on top of the cake before baking it.
Monday, 23 April 2012
" Vegetarian Cakes . I am sure you know what I am talking about.... Cakes without eggs. So how many of you have gone through the process of hunting for eggless cakes & landed up picking the only one option from the counter shelf. It can be difficult but its not impossible.
My mother used to always bake cakes without eggs. Infact my whole family has been doing that since i was a kid. Well ofcourse i belonged to the vegetarian lot wherein eggs were not supposed to be cooked at home. So the tradition of eating eggless cakes goes back to the time when the oven was invented. Still the taste and the aroma of that cake used to be so inviting that you cant help yourself from taking another bite.
So today I am sharing a recipe of an Eggless Tea Cake which is rich and indulgent. This is dedicated to my mum for making those delicious cakes in the small round oven which looked like a spaceship having some sci-fi features.
Do try this recipe & enjoy it ... Would love to know your feedback & comments !!!!
"Eggless Tea Cake"
1 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup sugar ( powdered)
1&1/2 cup milk powder
1&3/4 cup Malai or thick cream
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence/extract
3-4 tsp custard powder
1/2 cup curd
1 tsp soda bi carb
Nuts & Cherries
- Preheat the oven at 180*C for ten minutes before baking and grease a cake tin with oil and flour
- In a small bowl mix curd and soda bi card and leave it to ferment for few mins
- In another big bowl, add flour,sugar,milk powder, custard powder and baking powder . Mix well
- Add cream to the dry mixture and whisk well
- Add vanilla essence, curd and keep mixing till it forms a smooth batter of a pouring consistency.
- Add nuts or cherries
- Pour in the greased cake tin and bake in the pre heated oven at 180*C for 25 -30 mins or till its golden brown in colour. Check by inserting a knife or toothpick ( if dry the cake is ready)
- Remove the oven and cool before removing from the tin.
- Slice and serve with tea or coffee.
Thursday, 19 April 2012
When I think of Fruit Cake the first picture that comes to my mind is of Britannia slice cake. There was a particular taste and smell of that cake that one can easily remember and relate to. The only thing that was not unique was the dryness of the cake. Its not as moist as a normal tea cake is supposed to be so you need to gulp it down with a sip of tea or coffee.
So I decided to make a fruit cake which is moist and can be eaten with or without a cup of tea or coffee.
You can add any types of dryfruits or candies fruits of your choice to make this cake more colourful and tempting. I have named it Britannia Fruit Cake to relish our childhood memories.
"Britannia Fruit Cake"
1/2 tin milkmaid
140 gms self raising flour
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp soda bi carb
2 tsp vanilla essence / extract
40 gms white/unsalted butter
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1/2 cup tutti frutti / glaced cherries/ mixed dryfruits
- Preheat the oven at 160*C for ten minutes before baking
- Sieve flour, baking powder and soda bi carb together and keep aside
- In a mixing bowl pour milkmaid, add butter, vanilla essence and mix
- Add maida and keep mixing gently
- Add Add water and mix it till its of a smooth batter consistency
- Add all the dry fruits or tutti frutti and mix .
- Grease a round or square tin with butter or oil and dust it lightly with little flour
- Bake in the preheated oven for around 20 minutes or till its golden brown and risen. Check with a toothpick or knife if done. ( If it comes out dry then the cake is done)
- Remove from the oven and let it cool. Unmould it gently and slice and serve
- You can decorate the cake with royal or fudge icing before slicing it.
Monday, 16 April 2012
Cookies !!! Tell me who doesnt like eating cookies .. I know there is a lot of fitness quotient behind that dont eat that cookie , it will make you fat and blah blah . But can you resist the temptation of munching on that chocolate cookie . Imagine nowadays we have places like cookieman to visit and buy aromatic cookies. You go to the supermarket and the shelves are filled with the packaged assortment of varied types of fruits flavoured and nutty and whatnot cookies. So I call it absolute injustice if you dont eat a cookie. To bake a cookie is not difficult. You have to just get a little patience and and do wonders with your hands when crafting or making a cookie. What I suggest is playing a nice audio cd and distracting yourself away from all the other things and get ready to make cookies.
"Shortbread Chocolate Cookies"
Ingredients: Makes around 12 to 15
125 gms self raising flour
125 gms plain butter, softened
25 gms unsalted butter or white vegetable fat
50 gms granulated sugar
25 gms cornflour
5 tbsp cocoa powder
125 gms icing sugar
one packet gems or glaced cherries
- Preheat the oven to 150*C for ten minutes before baking. Lightly brush two baking sheets with oil.
- Sift the flour in a large bowl , cut half the plain butter and the unsalted butter/fat into small cubes.
- Add the butter cubes to the flour and using your fingertips, rub it in the mixture until it resembles like fine breadcrumbs
- Add the sugar, cornflour and 4 tbsp cocoa powder and knead the mixture to make a soft and pliable dough
- Place on a lightly floured surface and shape it in 12-15 small round balls. Place on the baking sheet and maintain gaps of atleast 2 inch between them.
- Press each one with a clean thumb to make a dent
- Bake it in the oven for 20-25 mins or until light golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave for few minutes to cool
- Transfer to a wire rack when cool for the icing
- Sift the icing sugar and the remaining cocoa powder in a bowl and add the remaining soft butter. Blend to form a smooth icing with 1-2 tsp of hot water.
- Spread a little icing over the top of each cookie and place half cherry or gems .
- Leave until set before serving
- Store in an airtight container when set.
Note - you can opt for any icing and decorative methods to make the cookies look more attractive.
Who says that cheese is only for Italian cuisine. Cheese for me is sinful indulgence just like a bar of chocolate. Imagine having a soft and tender cheese cube which melts in your mouth and makes your brain go numb for seconds .
Let's just say that we cant live with or without cheese.So lets talk about a recipe which makes you indulge in abundance of cheese and still very light on your palate. I have made this recipe with Mascarpone cheese but if you like then you can replace it with cottage cheese or cream cheese. The taste will still be delectable.
Another interesting addition to this dish is lemon. Imagine lemons in desserts. I could not even think about putting them few years back but now as the theme is about using anything & everything we land up using the whole lemon. Hope you all find this recipe interesting and try it for the weekend lunch. Do post your comments and feedback.
"Lemon Cheese Frosted Pie"
- 1and 1/2 cup digestive biscuit crumbs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 250 gms mascarpone cheese / cream cheese/ cottage cheese
- 4 tsp thick curd
- 3/4 cup castor sugar ( you can put one cup if you like it more sweet) - powdered
- 1/2 cup fresh cream - whipped
- 2 lemons ( small)
- Grease a tart or pie tin. Mix the biscuit crumbs and unsalted butter in a bowl and make a rough dough like mixture which can be pressed with hands.
- Press the mixture at the bottom of the tin to form base. Chill it in the refrigerator until firm.
- In a blender, add cheese, curd,sugar, cream and the juice of lemons.
- Blend till its smooth and of of liquid consistency.
- Pour on top of the biscuit base which has been set and firm after chilling
- Decorate the pie with lemon rind to add a dash of yellow and green colour on top.
- Chill the pie in the refrigerator for few hours until firm.
- Unmould it gently ( its always better to make it removable pie tins or sponge foam tins to avoid breakage)
- Serve chilled.
Sunday, 15 April 2012
"Mushy Sugar Cookies"
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract / essence
- Whisk flour,salt and soda together.
- In a mixer, beat butter and sugar for mins. Add eggs, vanilla extract and whip well
- Add flour mixture and and keep mixing till it forms a firm dough
- Divide in two halves. Wrap in cling wrap and chill for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 177*C
- Take two baking sheets and grease them.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough to a thickness of 1cm. Keep turning so that it doesnt stick
- Cut cookies in varied designs with the cookie cutters.
- Place them on the baking sheet and chill them for 15 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and bake it for 8-10 minutes ( edges start to brown)
- Remove and cool on a wire rack.
For the Icing :
2 egg whites
2 tsp lemon juice
3 cups icing sugar ( sifted well)
- In a mixer,beat egg whites and lemon juice.
- Add the icing sugar. Beat on low speed till smooth.
- Add more sugar or water to take a piping consistency
- Add food colour of your choice and mix well
- You can pipe these on the cookies or just cover the whole cookie top as per the designs you want to create
- Let the cookies icing dry completely before storing the cookies in an airtight container.
"B&W Chequered Biscuits"
Ingredients: Will make around 20 cookies
150 gm butter
75 gm icing sugar
pinch of salt
200 gm plain flour
25 gm cocoa powder
1 small egg white
- Preheat the oven to 190*C for ten minutes before baking.
- Lightly oil 3-4 baking trays or sheets
- Place the butter and icing sugar in a bowl and whisk till light and fluffy
- Add salt and gradually add flour and keep mixing. Make a firm dough.
- Cut the dough in half. In half dough and knead it with cocoa powder.
- Wrap both the portions of dough seperately in clingfilm and chill for 2 hours
- Divide each dough into 3 portions. Roll out the portions into long roll and arrange these rolls on top of each other to form a chequeboard design, sealing them with egg white.
- Wrap again in clingfilm and chill for an hour
- Cut the dough rolls into 1/4 inch thick slices so that when you turn them they resembles chequered cookies. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve when cool. Store in an air tight container.
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
250 gms mascarpone cheese
250 mls of heavy cream
1 cup of strong coffee ( make it before and keep)
1/2 cup liquor ( any wine or liquor of your choice)
20 ladyfinger biscuits
2 tsp cocoa powder
2 tsp icing sugaa
- Beat the egg yolks,sugar,vanilla essence on a double boiler till soft and smooth. Remove and keep.
- Add mascarpone cheese to the above mixture,whisk it well.
- Whip cream seperately till light and fluffy. Add it to the cheese mix and whisk well
- It should be of folding consistency
- In another bowl,pour coffee and liquour.
- Dip the ladyfinger biscuits in the coffee mix and arrange in a deep dish. Line the entire base with biscuits.
- Pour half the cheese mix on top of the biscuits. Make another layer of biscuits and pour the remaining mix on top.
- Drizzle with cocoa powder and icing sugar and chill for few hours before serving
"Lemon Tea Cake"
150 gms butter
150 gms sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon essence
1 tsp lemon colour (optional)
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1/2 tsp baking powder
150 gms self raising flour
- In a vessel, add butter and sugar. Beat till light and fluffy. Add eggs one by one and keep whisking.
- Add lemon juice,essence,colour and rind. Mix well
- Add baking powder, flour and mix well till smooth
- Pour in a cake tin which is dusted and greased with flour and oil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180*C for 45minutes.
- Seve with sweet lime and tea.
"Banana & Walnut Muffins"
2-3 small bananas
1 cup curd
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup refined vegetable oil
1/2 cup walnut pieces
few dates chopped
1 cup self raising flour
1 tsp soda-bi-carb
- Whisk eggs white seperately and keep aside
- In a bowl add egg yolks, banana pieces,curd,sugar,mix well
- Add oil,whisk till it becomes smooth
- Add and fold in the egg whites
- Add walnuts and dates
- Add flour and soda, Mix well
- Pour the batter in muffin moulds ( grease them with butter/ oil and dust with little flour)
- Garnish with walnuts
- Bake in preheated oven at 180*C for around 25 minutes.
- Once cool, unmould and serve
" Creme Caramel "
Ingredients : Serves 6
2 and 1/2 cups milk
8 tsp sugar
3 tsp milk powder
1tsp vanilla custard powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 tsp sugar - to caramelize
- Heat milk. When it comes to boil add sugar and custard powder. Keep stirring till it becomes of a little thicker consistency. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Beat eggs and essence together till light and fluffy and add to the cooled milk. Keep aside.
- Melt tsp sugar in a pan on low heat till golden. Pour in 6 small individual heat proof glass or metal bowls. Let the sugar set for 5 minutes.
- Pour the milk egg mixture in the moulds.
- Preheat the oven at 200*C. Bake pudding for 20-25 minutes until firm and golden.
- Once cooled keep in the fridge to chill and set. Do no unmould till it turns cold.
- To serve, run a knife all around the mould and invert it on a plate. Give a slight jerk to the mould to take it out.
- Decorate the pudding with whipped cream and fresh fruits and serve.
Saturday, 14 April 2012
Rice Pudding flavoured with rosewater and garnishes with nuts
Ingredients: Serves 4
3+1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup soaked rice for 2-3 hours and grounded to a fine paste
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1tsp rose water
2-3 small cardamom - powdered
5-6 pistachios ( sliced )
2 almonds - sliced
- Soak rice in a little water for 2-3 hours. Grind in the mixer with a little water to a very fine paste
- In a heavy bottom vessel, heat milk to a boil. Add rice and simmer on low flame.
- Keep stirring in between to avoid lumps.
- Add sugar and stir again
- Keep cooking till the milk mixture becomes thick.Remove from gas once reduced and is of a thick consistency.
- Cool and add rose water, cardamom powder.
- Pour in small bowls and decorate with nuts and rose petals. Serve chilled after 2-3 hours.
" Rich Almond Cake "
The rich and exotic almonds provides a kind of luxury to this case which is best suited for your special occassions
225 gms butter
225 gms caster sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp almond essence
125 gms self raising flour
175 gms ground almonds
50 gms whole almonds ( blanched )
25 gms plain dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 150*C.
- Lighty oil the cake tin
- Cream together the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs and essences together. Gradually add to the sugar and butter mixture and mix well between each addition
- Sift the flour ad mix with the ground almonds. Beat into the egg mixture until mixed well and smooth. Pour the batter in the cake tin.
- Roughly chop the whole almonds and scatter them over the cake. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until golden and risen. Check with a skewed if done.
- Remove from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack. Melt the chocolate in a small bowl placed over a saucepan of gently simmering water, stirring until smooth.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the cake and serve once it sets.
Marble Chocolate & Vanilla Cake !!!
The ribbons of chocolate and vanilla will give your tastebuds a surprised treat
175 gms butter
175 gms castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract or essence
3 medium eggs, lightly beaten
200 gms self raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp milk
1+1/2 tsp cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 180*C for 10 minutes before baking.
- Oil and line a square cake tin
- Cream the butter,sugar and vanilla essence until light and fluffy
- Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold in the milk
- Spoon half the mixture into the prepared tin in such a manner that there is gap between each spoonful mixture
- Blend the cocoa powder to a smooth paste with 2 tsp of warm water. Stir this into the remaining cake mixture. Drop small spoonfuls between the vanilla cake mixture to fill in all the gaps. Use a knife to swirl the mixtures together a little.
- Bake for 35 mins or until well risen and firm to touch. Leave in the tin to cool for 5 mins and unmould it gently.
- You can make it more attractive by making an icing of white and dark chocolate and decorating it criss cross on the top of the cake.
" Mango Cheese Pie "
The aromatic and tasty mangoes will mesmerize you and make the summer brunches more special.
1 cup Digestive Biscuit Crumbs
1/3 cup Walnut Pieces(Crushed)
1/2 cup Unsalted butter
pinch of ginger powder (optional)
2 ripe mangoes
4 tsp thick curd
250 gms cream cheese or fresh cottage cheese
3/4 cup castor sugar
1/2 cup cream
- Grease a sponge foam cake tin.
- In a bowl mix biscuit crumbs, walnut pieces, unsalted butter and ginger powder. Mix well. Press the mixture evenly on the base of the tin.
- Chill for few hours till firm.
- In a blender, liquidise mangoes, thick curd, cream cheese and castor sugar. Whip cream till soft and add it to the mixture. Mix it gently and pour it on top of the set crust.
- Refrigerate it till firm and set.
- Unmould it gently and garnish with walnuts and mango slices and serve.