- Preheat the oven at 180*C for ten minutes before baking
- Sieve flour and baking powder together.
- Mix butter and sugar together till light and smooth. Add both the eggs and whip the mixture properly.
- Add vanilla essence and mix well. Pour this mixture in the flour and mix it properly.
- Add milk and keep mixing to convert it into a smooth batter. Add coconut powder and mix well.
- Add chopped nuts, mix and the batter is ready.
- Grease a cake tin and line it with a baking parchment paper. Pour the batter in the prepared tin.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Switch off the oven. Garnish the cake with brown sugar and coconut powder mix and bake it again for another 10 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack. Cut and serve.
Tuesday, 21 May 2013
I had to go to a friends place for dinner so I baked this yummy cake to gift them. This cake is a lovely sponge cake with the goodness of coconut and caramelisation of brown sugar. You have the option of using fresh grated coconut but it tastes best with dried shredded coconut. The use of brown sugar on top adds crunch and texture to the cake and adds in more flavour.
Hope you like this recipe and enjoy the coconutty sponge.
" Coconut Cake"
175 gms self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
100 gms soft butter
100 gms caster sugar
2 -3 tbsp milk
few drops vanilla essence
4 tbsp coconut powder ( dried shredded coconut)
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp dried coconut powder for garnishing
handful of chopped cashews and raisins
Note : You can skip the brown sugar garnishing if you wish to place icing on this cake. This cake tastes best with butter cream icing and brown sugar syrup. You can serve this cake with smooth butterscotch icecream for a complete dessert.