- Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda in a mixing bowl
- Mix the oil,sugar and vanilla essence.
- Add the oil mixture to the flour mix and mix well.
- Add salt,spice powder and warm water and beat to form a smooth mix.
- Add apples and walnuts and mix well.
- Grease a cake tin and line with paper. Pour the cake batter and set well.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180*C for 25-30 mins till brown and done. Check with a skewer or toothpick.
- Let it cool on a wire rack, remove and serve.
Wednesday, 12 June 2013
Monsoon and a big appetite comes as a bundled package for three months. As the temperature starts dropping, our urge to eat fried and hot things starts increasing. I love to bake in this season and pair it up with hot cups of tea and coffee. Nothing is more beautiful than sitting by your windowsil, watching the raindrops and greenery and enjoying some yummy bakes and cakes in this weather.
So, let me share another wonderful recipe of Apple cake. This recipe is eggless and consists of whole wheat and brown sugar. You can enjoy each bite without worrying about those excess calories :)
Enjoy the recipe and the beautiful weather.
" Whole Wheat Apple Crumble Cake"
1+1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 small red apples - finely chopped
1 cup brown sugar ( you can reduce the quantity a little as the apples will be sweet)
1/3 cup of olive oil
1 small cup of warm water
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
5-6 drops of vanilla essence
1 tbsps of ground spices ( cinnamon,clove,nutmeg) - optional
1 cup walnuts chopped
Note - This cake will have a nice crumbly crust on top. Serve it warm with custard sauce in cool weather and with icecream in warm weather. You can store this cake in an airtight container for two to three days.
Sunday, 2 June 2013
Mangoes are ruling the market right now. I had to make atleast one dessert before the season ends and what could be more better than a chilled Mango pudding cake. If you have tried my previous recipe on Mango cheesecake then you will definitely love this one.
This recipe is super fast, delicious and light to taste. Do try this recipe and enjoy the beautiful weather :)
" Mango Delight"
2 big ripe mangoes
1/2 cup thick cream
1/2 cup cottage or cream cheese
4-5 tbsp sugar
1 tsp cardamom powder
1 small loaf ( 50gms) cake loaf ( any flavour will do. You can use readymade cake slices)
8-10 digestive biscuits
4 tsp butter - soft
Mixed nuts - almonds and cashews chopped
chocolate powder for dusting
- Grease pudding moulds with butter and keep aside.
- Crush the digestive biscuits and mix with butter.
- Press the mixture in the moulds to form a smooth layer at the bottom. Keep in the fridge to chill
- Use a blender and add mangoes, cream,sugar,cheese and cardamom powder. Blend to form a puree.
- Remove the moulds from the fridge. Make thick slices of the cake and place in the center. Add few chopped nuts over it.
- Pour the mango puree on top of the biscuit and cake layer. Repeat the process with the other moulds till all the puree is used.
- Refrigerate for atleast 4-5 hours till set and firm.
- To serve, remove from the fridge. Run a sharp knife around the pudding before inverting it on a plate. Be careful at this stage to avoid breaking the dessert. ( I prefer using silicone moulds for these types of dessert as its easy to invert the dessert). The biscuit layer will be on top after its removed
- Dust with chocolate powder and serve chilled.
Note : You can use vanilla or chocolate cake as that adds to the texture and flavour of this dessert.